We believe that carefully designed, appropriate homework can have a significant effect on children’s learning. It is particularly beneficial when children are encouraged and supported by the active involvement of parents and when there is good communication between home and school.
Active involvement includes discussion of the homework task and help with research tasks. Parents should avoid physically completing work for their child. The document below gives parents advice about how to support their child with homework tasks.
Homework is designed for a variety of purposes these include helping children:
- To develop independent study skills
- To practise skills learned in the classroom
- To extend the breadth and depth of learning begun in the class lesson
- To develop self-discipline and perseverance
- To use sources of information and materials not available in the classroom
- To involve parents in their learning.