We believe that learning French in primary school years provides excitement, enjoyment and challenge, helping to develop positive attitudes to language learning throughout life. The skills, knowledge and understanding gained make a major contribution to the development of children’s oracy and literacy, and to their understanding of their own culture and those of others. We seek to enable pupils leaving us at the end of Year 6 to be confident in their French oral communication and ready to embark on the study of new languages in their secondary schools.
Our curriculum is based upon the languages requirements from National Curriculum. It aims to ensure that all pupils:
- To foster an enjoyment and positive attitude towards the subject
- To promote an understanding of language
- To raise an awareness of cultural diversity
- To foster positive attitudes towards other countries
- To give confidence and competence to communicate at levels appropriate to the children’s ability
- To encourage learners to continue their studies
All KS2 children in The Gerrards Cross CE School are taught French. The curriculum is structured by the revised Buckinghamshire Scheme of Work.
French has been chosen as our main foreign language because:
- France is one of our closest neighbours.
- Buckinghamshire primary schools are encouraged to teach French so that children enter secondary school education with a similar experience and knowledge base